Last Dollar Scholarship
Students enrolled in qualified programs at Marshalltown Community College and Iowa Valley Grinnell are now eligible to apply for the Future Ready Iowa Last-Dollar Scholarship program. The Last-Dollar Scholarship will pay for your tuition and qualified fees if enrolled in one of many designated career technology programs. That’s right … the State of Iowa will pay the student’s tuition and qualified fees, whatever is left after applying for any federal and state grants/scholarships.
For the 2023-24 academic year, the qualifying MCC and IVG programs for Last-Dollar Scholarships are:
Marshalltown Community College
- Advanced Manufacturing Technology
- Associate Degree Nursing
- Business Administration
- Computer Networking Management & Technology
- Dental Assisting
- Electro-Mechanical Systems Technologist
- Esports Program Management
- Industrial Maintenance Mechanic Diploma
- Machine Tool Technology (one-year and two-year programs)
- Medical Assisting
- Natural Gas Technician
- Powerline Technician
- Practical Nursing
Iowa Valley Grinnell
Are you Eligible?
To be eligible to receive the Last-Dollar Scholarship, you must meet the following ongoing eligibility requirements:
- Be an Iowa resident.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually. The priority deadline for 2023 – 2024 is July 15, 2023.
*According to FAFSA, 2023-2024 year eligibility for EFC (estimated family contribution) is below $20,000.
- Meet and register for courses with an advisor each term.
- Enroll in at least 6 credit hours each fall and spring semester until you've completed your program.
- Summer term courses: If summer awarding is approved by Iowa College Aid and you enroll in summer term courses, you must be enrolled in 6 credit hours.
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress each term.
- Continuously receive a Last-Dollar Scholarship disbursement each fall and spring semester.
Students will be notified via their Iowa Valley email that a Last-Dollar Scholarship award is available to them once eligibility is confirmed.
Last-Dollar Scholarship Award Calculation
*2023–2024 Max Last-Dollar Scholarship = $216 per credit hour × the total number of credit hours per term.
Last-Dollar Scholarship recipients receive the remaining balance of what they owe for tuition and mandatory fees after other awarded federal and/or state grants and scholarships have been applied.
- If your Last-Dollar Scholarship Award Amount is positive: This is the amount of your Last-Dollar Scholarship for the term.
- If your Last-Dollar Scholarship Award Amount is negative: Your Last-Dollar Scholarship award amount for the term would be the minimum of $250 per term for full-time enrollment.
Each student's eligibility is determined specifically for their situation. It is very likely to have different awards for the same enrollment period.
Costs not covered by the
The following costs are not covered by the Last-Dollar Scholarship and may lead to out-of-pocket expenses:
- Visit the MCC Bookstore to determine the cost of books.
- Course fees: Some courses have additional fees.
- Tuition for repeated coursework, developmental coursework, and coursework not required for your current MCC program may be excluded from your Last-Dollar Scholarship award calculation.
- Additional program costs: Some programs have additional costs such as tools, equipment, supplies, uniforms, exam fees, and background screenings. Visit with your academic advisor for more information.