Academic Support Services
Marshalltown Community College provides a variety of academic support services to help students be successful. Listed here are several individuals and links that may be helpful to you, depending on what you need. If you aren’t sure which of these individuals or departments to contact, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll put you in touch with the right person!
- Academic Advising – Student Success Specialists, based out of the MCC Admissions Office, assist students in reviewing degree requirements and registering for classes. Students can/should also work directly with a Student Success Specialist to review their ongoing degree progress (timeline), consider course options, discuss transfer issues, as well as many other academic-related issues. Students are also encouraged to meet with the faculty advisor in their major degree program or area of study.
- Accommodations for Disabilities – MCC collaborates with students who have disabilities in an effort to coordinate academic accommodations and services that enable equal access.
- Personal Counseling – MCC has two part-time counselors who offer free, confidential counseling services for MCC students. The program is designed for short-term counseling, which typically means one to four sessions to identify a problem, set some goals, and work toward resolutions. Some students may need referrals for longer-term services based on the issues they’re facing. A counselor will discuss all options available. To schedule an appointment contact Nancy Adams in room 211, 641-844-5753.
- Library – A variety of resources, including computer stations, are available in MCC’s B.J. Harrison Library. Stop in the library (room 304) or click the library link.
- Student Success Center – The MCC Student Success Center is located in room 406, and is open Monday through Friday from 8 am to 4:30 pm while college classes are in session.
- Peer Tutor Program – The SSC offers peer tutoring to students who need help with academic skills or certain subjects. The opportunity also exists for students to become peer tutors.