Home » I Am » Current Student » Disability Services

Disability Services

Marshalltown Community College provides individualized assistance to students with disabilities who identify themselves and request help. The Learning Services Specialist, MCC room 412, can provide advocacy, advice, counseling, and referral information. By working together, students and staff strive to eliminate academic, attitudinal and architectural barriers that might hinder successful completion of a student’s studies at MCC.


MCC adheres to all requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and will make reasonable accommodations for any student or patron with a physical need (in the laboratories, classrooms, restrooms, or for student activities and athletic events). A barrier-free environment is stressed, and the campus is physically accessible throughout. Learn more about the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or contact the Learning Services Specialist, MCC room 412.

Steps to Obtain Accommodations

  1. Contact Martha Schwandt, Learning Services Specialist, at 641-844-5769 or toll-free at 1-866-622-4748, Ext. 5769. You will be asked to complete the IVCCD Accommodations Form.
  2. After completing the form, you will meet with Ms. Schwandt to submit documentation of disability and review the information. Qualified professional providers can use the Support for Accommodation Requests (SAR) Form (pdf) as a guide for documentation.
  3. When documentation is received, an accommodation plan will be developed based on your individual needs.
  4. A letter documenting eligibility to receive services will be sent; the letter may be used when visiting with instructors each term. It is the student’s responsibility to keep instructors informed of continuing/updated needs.

MCC recognizes that students’ accommodation needs may change, and the accommodation support/action plan may change accordingly.

Service/Assistance Animal

The College prohibits the presence of animals on campus, with the exception of animals used for academic purposes (e.g., laboratory and instructional use), service animals, and assistance animals (limited to campus housing only and with prior approval). Assistance animals may be identified by other names such as companion animals, therapy animals, and emotional support animals. Approval of the presence of assistance animals must be obtained by the student before such animals are allowed on the campus; see Board Policy 526 for more information.

MCC students with service animals and assistance animals are encouraged to contact Martha Schwandt, MCC Learning Services Specialist, to begin the steps to obtain accommodations (see Steps to Obtain Accommodations above).

Student Success Center

The Student Success Center, located in room 412, is an academic support system for students who need help reaching their goals. Individual and group study/tutoring areas and resources are available in a supportive atmosphere.

Vocational Rehabilitation

Some students may be eligible for services provided by the Iowa Division of Vocational Rehabilitation/DVRS (not necessarily veterans), including complete medical and psychological diagnosis; vocational evaluation and counseling; tuition assistance for academic and vocational training; job placement assistance; prosthetic devices such as artificial limbs, braces, and hearing aids; maintenance and transportation while undergoing vocational rehabilitation; and occupational tools, equipment, and business licenses required for placement. Some of the financial assistance is dependent on financial need. For more information or to receive services contact Vocational Rehabilitation at 641-352-7942.


Title IX, of the Education Amendments of 1972, is a federal law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex—including pregnancy and parental status— in any federally funded education program or activity. All public and private schools, school districts, colleges, and universities receiving any Federal funds (“schools”) must comply with Title IX.

Click here for a full list of accommodations for pregnant or parenting students.