TRIO Student Support Services
What is TRIO SSS?
TRIO is a set of federally funded programs designed to ensure equal educational opportunities. Marshalltown Community College was awarded a TRIO grant in 2010 related to student support services. TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) helps inspire and support students in their pursuit of a college degree as they transition to college. On average, students who participate in TRIO SSS are more likely to graduate than eligible students who don’t join the program. TRIO SSS will help you become one of those students who graduates!
What we provide
When you join TRIO SSS you will have these FREE support services available to you:
- Topic specific workshops
- Scholarship opportunities and/or financial support to qualified students
- One-on-one advising, including registration and scheduling with SSS staff
- Transfer counseling
- Trips to the state universities (Iowa State University, University of Northern iowa and University of Iowa)
- College credit courses, exclusively for participants.
- Receive one-on-one advising from TRIO SSS staff who are personally committed to helping you succeed
- Meet and build relationships with other students–who are pursuing their college and career dreams just like you–in TRIO SSS social activities
- Learn to be financially savvy to budget your money now and in the future, understand credit card use, and learn to manage student loan debt
- Gain leadership skills that will help you grow inside and outside of college
- Get academic and personal support from your very own dedicated SSS “cheerleader”
Eligibility for TRIO SSS is determined by federal regulations. To qualify, you must be a full-time MCC student, a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Be a first generation college student (neither parent has a four-year bachelor’s degree)
- Have a disability that can be documented
- Demonstrate financial need (did you qualify for a Pell grant?)
Iowa Valley Grinnell students may also qualify for TRIO SSS eligibility; contact a TRIO staff member for more information.
How to join
To be considered for TRIO SSS, you must fill out an Application Form. Applications can also be picked up in Room 111.
Because this is a federally-funded program, spaces are limited. We encourage you to fill out an application today!