Tutoring for Students
The Student Success Center (SSC) at Marshalltown Community College, Room 406, strives to provide an academic support system for students who need help reaching their goals. Part of those services includes a Peer Tutoring Program.
- Tutoring services are free of charge
- Tutors are usually MCC students (peers) who have successfully completed the course
- Maximum of three hours per week per subject
- Subject availability varies by semester
- Tutoring is scheduled for specific times
- No tutoring during the first two weeks of a semester nor during the week of final examinations
- Tutors are employed by the District and paid minimum wage
Spring 2018 Tutoring Schedule
|Human Anatomy & Physiology I||M||noon-1 pm||406 (SSC)||Kaylee Howe|
|Human Anatomy & Physiology II||M||1-2 pm||406 (SSC)||Kaylee Howe|
|Introduction to Sociology||M/W||8-9 am||406 (SSC)||Lisa Butler|
|Macroeconomics||W/F||noon-1 pm||406 (SSC)||Tyler Critchfield|
|Math||M-TH||11 am-3 pm||406 (SSC)||Arlo Hildahl|
|Math for Liberal Arts||T/TH||12:30-3:30 pm||406 (SSC)||Emily Vest|
|Math (all courses)||F||8:30-11:30 am||406 (SSC)||Jooyoung Ha|
|Microeconomics||W||8-9 am & noon-1 pm||406 (SSC)||Jooyoung Ha|
|Writing (all courses)||M/W/F||11:30 am-4 pm||406 (SSC)||David Briggs|
|Writing (all courses)||TH||10 am-noon||406 (SSC)||David Briggs|
|Writing (all courses)||TH||12:30-4 pm||406 (SSC)||David Briggs|
Both prospective tutors and students who want tutoring assistance are required to fill out separate applications. If you have questions about your application or the process, please contact us.
- All applications will include instructor input
- Students’ grades, class attendance and study habits are evaluated
- Other options may be recommended
Apply for Tutoring Assistance
- Complete a Tutoring Request Form (online form; you’ll need to log in on PawPass).
- Your application will be evaluated, and you will be contacted by an SSC representative, usually within 24 hours.
- The SSC will attempt to secure a tutor for your subject area(s) during the semester you applied; however, tutor assistance is not guaranteed.
Apply to be a Peer Tutor
Are you particularly good with certain subjects? Do you enjoy helping others? Are you able to guide and facilitate discussion without giving students the answer, doing the problem for them, or performing the task for them? If so, then…
- Complete the Application for Tutor Position Form (online form; you’ll need to log in on PawPass).
- You will be contacted to meet with an SSC representative, usually within 24 hours, to review your application.
Alternative Tutoring Options
DISCLAIMER: The following alternatives are not affiliated with nor recommended by MCC or the MCC Student Success Center. MCC accepts no responsibility for the quality or accuracy of information obtained from any tutoring option(s) not affiliated with MCC.
- This program is funded by the Department of Defense MWR Library Program and Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Program.
- FREE for Active Duty, National Guard and Reserve members in the Army, Marines, Navy or Air Force and their dependents. Get help from a professional tutor anytime you need it. Tutors are online 24/7 and available to help in more than 16 subjects.
- Tutoring and instructional videos listed by topic or by university/college.