MCC Career/Degree Exploration Open House is April 11
Tuesday / March 28, 2017
Marshalltown Community College will host a Career/Degree Exploration Open House on Tuesday, April 11, from 5 to 7 pm. The event will showcase six MCC programs: Broadcasting/Digital Media, Business Administration, Computer Network Management, Dental Assisting, Machine Tool Technology, and Medical Assisting.
During the open house, participants interested in any of these six programs can meet with faculty and current students, tour the facilities, and learn about the educational programs and related career opportunities. Open house attendees will receive a free MCC t-shirt and can register for door prizes and a scholarship giveaway. Refreshments will be served.
- Broadcasting/Digital Media – For those interested in careers in radio, television, video production, corporate media or web-based production. Classes are held in a production studio with green screen and a production control room, three editing suites, an audio recording studio, and access to a state-of-the-art press box. Hands-on training with studio cameras, production cameras, teleprompter, mobile switchers, audio board and a video drone.
- Business Administration – For those interested in sales, management training, small business operations or a related field. Current “hot careers” in business include Statistician, Financial Advisor, Actuary, Operations Research Analyst, Medical/Health Services Manager, Business Operations Manager, Cost Estimator, Human Resources Specialist, Compliance Officer, and many more.
- Computer Network Management – Students with Network Management degrees find jobs as computer technicians and network administrators. Job skills include router and switch configuration, VLAN management, VMWare, hardware installation and repair, server installation and maintenance, installing and updating various operating systems, mobile application development and network security. The current median pay for Computer & Network System Administrators in the U.S. is $77,810.
- Dental Assisting – Dental Assistants are responsible for chairside assisting, patient education, infection control, radiographic and laboratory techniques, and organizational and practice management tasks. The current median pay for Dental Assistants in the U.S. is $35,980, and the job outlook calls for 18% growth through 2024 (much higher than the average). Typically 100% of MCC Dental Assisting graduates find employment within their field.
- Machine Tool Technology – Machinists, Tool Makers and Die Makers represent one of the highest paid positions in the manufacturing sector, and MCC offers one-year and two-year programs to train for these positions. MCC’s Machine Tool Technology lab was remodeled and expanded in 2014, and will be open for tours. The current median pay for Machinists and Tool and Die Makers in the U.S. is $42,110 per year.
- Medical Assisting – The 11-month Medical Assisting program prepares students to provide medical office administrative services, as well as perform clinical and laboratory duties. This diploma program includes instruction in basic anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, medical law ethics, patient psychology and communications, medical office procedures, clinical diagnosis, examination testing, and treatment procedures. The current median pay for Dental Assistants in the U.S. is $35,980.
MCC Admissions staff will also be on hand to answer questions and provide information about financial aid and scholarships.
The various programs being showcased will be in different areas around the campus. Open house participants should park in the lot at the northwest corner of the MCC campus and enter Door #1; directions and additional information will be available there.