Skip To Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions About Housing

Residence Life Staff contact information
Professional staff cell phone – 641-485-0784
Resident Assistant cell phone – 641-485-0942

Who is required to live on campus? All freshmen and international students whose permanent address is outside of a 30-mile radius of the MCC campus are required to live in student housing for the entire academic year. There are no exceptions to this rule; questions can be directed to one of the staff members listed at the right on this web page.

What is the mailing address?
Resident Name: ________
Room Number: ________
110 College Drive
Marshalltown, IA 50158
*All packages can be picked up at the east hall office during regular business hours or by contacting a staff member.

Is the Housing Pre-Payment refundable? The only way to receive the $100 Prepayment is if you cancel your housing application by July 11. To cancel your Housing Application email with your student ID number.

What if I change my mind? Once you sign the Residence Life Contract, you are bound to its terms for that entire academic year. If you are not entirely sure that you want housing for both the fall and spring semester, we highly recommend you do not participate in the process or even submit an application. It is important to discuss all available options with your parent(s) or guardian(s) BEFORE signing the Residence Life Contract. The contract is a full year contract that is terminated only under very specific circumstances.

What scenarios allow a student to vacate their room assignment and contract? A student who withdraws, is academically dismissed, takes a leave of absence, removed from housing for student conduct, lives within a 30 mile radius of MCC or receives an approved contract release.

How will the $100 Pre-Payment be used? Once a resident moves in and is verified in residence, the $100 Pre-Payment will be applied to a Student’s Account as a payment towards Housing Costs.

When will I find out my housing assignment? Residence Life will mail an informational letter in early August to all assigned students. This letter will contain your housing assignment, your suitemate(s) information, information on what to bring, information on the timeline for your move in and details of required residence life orientation meetings.

What is the Damage Fine Review process like? If you wish to appeal a damage charge assessed to your student account, you must submit your appeal in writing via email within 31 days of the fine posting after you move out of housing. Appeals will not be considered unless they are submitted in writing by the student charged. To appeal a damage charge, please provide a detailed, written explanation of why you are contesting your damage charge(s), your student ID, and the dollar amount you are appealing to Damage appeals are reviewed by a damage charge appeals committee and the results and decision of this will be communicated back to you via email.

Are there rules for living on campus? All of the policies that ensure a healthy, respectful and safe residential community environment are found in The Guide to Residence Living. Every residential student will receive a copy when they move in. A few clarifiers are:

  • Smoking: Smoking is prohibited in any location on the Marshalltown Community Campus, including all Residential Complexes.
  • Alcohol: Consumption, possession or distribution of alcohol beverages is not permitted. Violations of the alcohol and other drug policy may result in removal from the Residential Complexes.
  • Pets: No pets are allowed on campus.

Director of Student Engagement & Residence Life

Chris Brees

Chris Brees
  • Live Chat