Nurses are known for their caring and sympathetic nature. They use their nursing skills to assist individuals to regain or maintain their health. Interest and training must be strong in the sciences of anatomy, physiology, chemistry, nutrition, math and psychology. One of the 10 occupations projected to have the largest numbers of new jobs is Nursing, with earnings above average. Employment of Licensed Practical Nurses (PNs) is expected to grow faster than average in long-term care facilities. Job opportunities for Registered Nurses (RNs) are also expected to grow rapidly. As the median age of the Nurse population continues to rise, thousands of job openings will result. Advancement opportunities are broader with higher degrees.
Marshalltown Community College offers a Practical Nursing diploma program and Associate Degree Nursing (RN) degree program. MCC offers a ladder program in which students must first earn their Practical Nursing diploma before entering the Associate Degree Nursing program. Our Nursing courses cover the areas of medical, surgical, maternal-child, pediatrics, geriatric and mental health nursing at both the PN and ADN levels. Patient care skills are learned in supervised lab setting and in simulated clinical experiences. Students receive clinical experience in a variety of settings such as area hospitals, long-term care facilities and mental health facilities as well as a number of specialty clinical experiences.
- Admissions Requirements
- Practical Nursing (PN)
- PN Orientation Passport Packet
- Associate Degree Nursing (ADN)
- ADN Orientation Passport Packet
Why consider MCC?
- Excellent NCLEX licensure exam passage rates. Our ADN students had an 94% passage rate in 2018, (2018 Iowa rate was 87%). Our PN students had 93% passage rate in 2018 (2018 Iowa rate was 93%).
- Our Practical Nursing program was named 2019 #2 Practical Nursing program in Iowa by PracticalNursing.org.
- Marshalltown Community College’s Practical Nursing program starts each year in August.
- Simulation Lab – MCC knows simulation is an integral part of the learning experience. That’s why we have a brand new, state-of-the-art “sim” lab complete with high fidelity mannequins.
- Small class sizes allows for one-on-one attention between students and the instructors.
- Professional faculty who care about student success.
- Program administration and support staff on campus to assist you with admission, registration, financial aid and general questions.
Our Nursing programs are approved by the Iowa Board of Nursing.
MCC Nursing Program FY20 Costs*
|Practical Nursing||Associate Degree Nursing|
|Tuition (47.5 credits): $8,455.00||Tuition (38.5 credits): $6,853.00|
|Materials/Technology Fee: $878.75||Materials/Technology Fee: $712.25|
|Student/Facility Fees: $356.25||Student/Facility Fees: $288.75|
|Clinical Fees: $280||Clinical Fee: $320|
|Nursing Simulation Lab Fee: $40||Nursing Simulation Lab Fee: $40|
|ATI CARP Testing: $677||ATI CARP Testing: $684|
|Books/Syllabi: $1,000||Books/Syllabi: $1,000|
|CPR Training: $69||CPR Training: $69|
|Criminal Background Check: $52.75||Criminal Background Check: $52.75|
|Health Physical: $100||Health Physical: $100|
|Stethoscope: $50||Stethoscope: $50|
|Uniforms: $150||Uniforms: $150|
|Lab Kits: $40||Lab Kits: $25|
|TEAS Test Fee: $55|
|Graduation Pin (optional): ($90)||Graduation Pin (optional): ($90)|
|Total: $12,253.75||Total: $10,394.75|
* Fees are subject to change.