Computer Applications in Business
Computer and technical skills are required by today’s employees. Students in these MCC programs will learn to solve business problems using computer software, manage data to make data-driven decisions, and prepare statistical reports, spreadsheets, presentations, publications, and web pages. Flexibility is built into the programs so that MCC students have the opportunity to take medical, legal, accounting, foreign language, or other specialty electives to enhance their credentials and prepare for a career in one or more specific industries.
Classes in this area of study also provide support for those interested in updating technology skills through one or two classes because the need for effective computer skills is essential for students and workers in all fields.
Microsoft Office Certifications
MCC is an approved Microsoft Information Technology (IT) Academy and testing center. Through state funding, as a part of their classwork, our students are able to earn Microsoft Office certifications at no additional cost. Benefits of certification include:
- Certify in Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Certification is convenient and differentiates you from others in today’s competitive job market.
- Microsoft research indicates that certification can broaden your employment opportunities and increase your earning potential, job satisfaction, and competence.
- Certification enables you to complete assignments and projects with greater ease and efficiency, and it builds self-confidence.
- Certification provides for strong, quality learning standards and leading-edge curriculum.
- Certification positions you well as a job candidate, as an indicator of high motivation and productivity.
MCC’s Computer Applications Programs
Marshalltown Community College offers three Business Computer Applications options, depending on your personal and professional goals:
- A one-semester (18-credits) Business Computer Applications Diploma for those needing basic computer skills. Test-out options and Microsoft certifications are available.
- A one-year Business Administrative & Information Services Assistant Diploma for those wanting to provide administrative, information services, and technical assistance to clients in a business office or remotely as a virtual assistant from a home office. Covers bookkeeping, online research, presentations, and database and social media management.
- A two-year Computer Applications in Business Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Degree that covers how to solve business problems using computer software, manage data for decision-making, and prepare statistical reports, spreadsheets, presentations, publications, and web pages. Specialty electives may also be taken.
The links under Degrees Awarded (below) specify our different program course requirements.
Careers & Job Outlook
Join an established yet ever-changing professional field with varied opportunities for advancement and personal growth. Follow these links to find additional up-to-date information on the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook web pages:
- Administrative Services Managers
- Bill & Account Collectors
- Bookkeeping, Accounting & Auditing Clerks
- Computer Support Specialists
- Customer Service Representatives
- Desktop Publishers
- Financial Clerks
- General Office Clerks
- Information Clerks
- Materials Recording Clerks
- Medical Records & Health Information Technicians
- Secretaries & Administrative Assistants