Business is a diverse, dynamic field requiring skilled professionals with a wide range of abilities and expertise. Business can mean many different things to people … it can include accounting, finance, all aspects of computers, entrepreneurship, management, marketing, or related fields such as sports management/marketing, fashion merchandising, banking, international business, and the teaching of business. Success in business requires a comprehensive knowledge of a variety of subjects. As an MCC graduate you’ll be prepared to work in a variety of settings in business, government, nonprofit organizations and more.
MCC’s Business Programs
MCC Business programs provide a smart start, helping students acquire the right skills to achieve success in the business world. If you think you might like to work in sales, management, training, small business operations, or related fields, this major will cover the essentials to strengthen your skills. Upon graduation you can choose to continue toward a degree at a four-year college or university or enter the workforce immediately.
The majority of our Business graduates transfer their credits to complete a bachelor’s degree, qualifying for more advanced positions. You may wish to discuss your specific needs and interests with the Business Department.
Marshalltown Community College offers six Business programs, depending on your career goals:
- A 21-credit Business Administration (Entrepreneurship) Certificate for those interested in starting their own business.
- A one-year Business Administrative & Information Services Assistant Diploma for those wanting to provide administrative, information services, and technical assistance to clients in a business office or remotely as a virtual assistant from a home office.
- A one-year Business Administration (Entrepreneurship) Diploma for those focused on the specific subject of business administration (entrepreneurship).
- A one-year Business Administration (Small Business Practitioner) Diploma for those wanting specialized skills in working in a small business environment. This program could be completed as an evening program in two semesters and two summer sessions.
- A two-year Business Administration Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree for those who want to go directly into the workforce after graduation.
- A two-year Business Administration Associate of Arts (AA) degree emphasis for those who want to transfer their credits and complete a baccalaureate/bachelor’s degree at a university. This program can be completed in Marshalltown or Grinnell.
The links under Degrees Awarded (below) specify our different program course requirements. Course Codes: Accounting (ACC), Business (BUS), Economics (ECN), Computer Science (CSC), Management (MGT), and Marketing (MKT).
Admissions Partnership Program with Iowa State, UNI and Iowa
MCC participates in the Admissions Partnership Program with Iowa State University, the University of Northern Iowa and the University of Iowa to enable MCC students to transfer credits seamlessly to any of the state universities. Participants are dual-enrolled at MCC and the university with access to academic advising and student services at both institutions. The universities guarantee admission into the desired degree program, provided all requirements are met. Ask the MCC Admissions Office for more information!
Business Careers & Job Outlook
Employment of business occupations is projected to grow 9 percent through 2026, adding about 750,400 new jobs. The median annual wage for business occupations was $66,530 in May 2016, which was much higher than the median annual wage for all occupations ($37,040). Follow these links to find additional up-to-date information on the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook web pages:
- Market Research Analysts
- Advertising, Promotions & Marketing Managers
- Accountants and Auditors
- Operations Research Analysts
- Financial Advisors
- Insurance Agents
- Bookkeepers, Accountants & Audit Clerks
- Loan Officers
- Management Analysts