About the Orpheum
The Orpheum Theater, located at 220 E. Main St., Marshalltown, Iowa, is owned and operated by Iowa Valley Community College District. The Orpheum provides a forum to foster a love of the arts through quality artistic, cultural, entertainment, and educational programming. The O is a place where artists and audiences meet.
Take a ‘Virtual’ Tour!
A Community Treasure
Theaters have been part of downtown Marshalltown’s history for more than 125 years. The Orpheum, built in 1948, was the first theater built after World War II by the Radio Keith Orpheum (RKO) Company, a major movie studio of Hollywood’s Golden Age.
A local nonprofit organization purchased the building and, in 2005, partnered with Iowa Valley Community College District to renovate the Orpheum as a multi-use facility. It took ten years, several major grants, a passed bond issue, and thousands of individual, corporate, and foundation dollars to re-open the theater’s doors in 2010 as the IVCCD Orpheum Theater.
A renovated 1940s Streamline Moderne movie theater, the O is a testament to building community partnership and offers:
- A beautiful and iconic entry point to the historic Marshalltown business district
- A historic lobby and 152-seat movie house
- A black box theater for live performance, seminars, presentations, exhibits, and other events
- A gallery and exhibit space housing a permanent collection celebrating Iowans in entertainment
- A 50-seat learning studio for seminars, meetings, and other events
- A fully equipped scene shop for scenery and prop building
- An outside amphitheater and patio area for performance or private functions
The IVCCD Orpheum Theater Center is also proud to be a member of the League of Historic American Theatres. We hope to see you at the O!
The Orpheum Theater Center is located at 220 E. Main Street in Marshalltown, Iowa. For upcoming movies, call the Movie Line at 641-844-5607.