The Orpheum Theater Center sustained significant structural damage during the July 19 tornado. We will be closed until further notice as we assess damages and determine needed repairs. Upcoming events and activities will be held in the Iowa Valley Continuing Education Center (Dejardin Hall, room 808) at 3702 S. Center Street unless otherwise noted. Bob and Tammy are working from an office in the MCC Faust Student Union. Additional updates will be posted here as they are available.
Check out the “at a glance” schedules below for an overview of what’s happening at the Orpheum Theater Center, or click on the links to the left to find selected Events information in greater detail. Want to rent a room or tour the facility? Grab a snack and a great cup of coffee? You can do it all at the Orpheum Theater Center … the epitome of community!
Major Sponsor: Martha-Ellen Tye Foundation
- Sept. 18 – Fiesta de Perú featuring La Patronal Peruvian folk music at 7 pm at the Iowa Valley Continuing Education Center, room 808. (Event details)
- Sept. 19 – La Patronal performs interactively for Marshalltown Community College students at 1 pm in MCC’s Babe Harder Gym. Free to students; co-sponsored by Orpheum Theater Center and MCC Diversity Committee.
- Oct. 13 – Blues & BBQ featuring The Blue Dog, The Limestoners (featuring Bob Dorr), and a final short set with both bands! Event is from 6 to 9:30 pm; tickets are $30, which includes the meal. The Blue Dog Band is Iowa City’s very own old school blues band; they perform the classic sounds of Howlin’ Wolf, B.B. King, Muddy Waters, and Little Walter, along with the more modern fare of Stevie Ray Vaughan. Multiple members of the Iowa Blues Hall of Fame, including the legendary Bob Dorr, give you the blues as they’re meant to be played. Decades of shows have honed the craft of these master blues musicians.
- Nov. 3 – Crystal City performs from 7 to 9 pm. Crystal City is fronted by Dave Helmer and Sam Drella. Heavily influenced by Paul Westerberg, Tom Petty, John Prine, and Townes Van Zandt, the group’s songs are approachable and relatable, touching on themes of love and loss, being good to one another, and celebrating life. Tickets are $12.50.
- Nov. 29 – Irish Christmas in America (see Irish Christmas in America). This multi-talented group includes amazing instrumentalists, great vocals, and compelling traditional Irish dance. A great way to start the Christmas season! Tickets are $25; the performance will be at 7 pm at First Baptist Church, 700 E. Olive St.
- Nov. 30 – Friday Wine Club at 7 pm in the Iowa Valley Continuing Education Center, room 808. This will be a port tasting, accompanied by a lovely charcuterie with cheeses and crackers. (tickets are $20, limit 56 people; no tickets sold after Nov. 26)
- Dec. 8 – The Starch Duo at 7 pm at the Iowa Valley Continuing Education Center, room 808. Ben Schmidt on vocals and guitar and Rich Wagor on upright bass play the blues standards, old country songs, songs from the American songbook, and impeccably crafted songs by Ben. The Starch Duo is comfort music for your ears! Tickets are $12.50.
|Orpheum Black Box events are most often music, and generally on Saturdays from 7 to 9 pm. Tickets are $12.50 unless otherwise indicated.
A NOTE FROM THE ORPHEUM DIRECTOR – While movies and music are the core of our programming at the Orpheum, we also want to do what I call “Let 1,000 Flowers Bloom.” Right now, the Orpheum is offering (free of charge) participation in a monthly Poetry group which meets the fourth Thursday of each month, and an Anime group which meets twice a month. The Wine & Beer tasting groups are similar efforts to this, as is the Seberg Festival. If you have a cultural interest which the Orpheum could host, feel free to come talk with us. The only thing which is certain is that it’ll take 3-5 volunteers (which you have to provide) before we’d partner with you … but if you want to start a line dancing group, or do Bonsai, or have a strong interest in graffiti art – or any other cultural thing – send me an email, and we’ll set up a time to talk!
The Orpheum Theater Center is located at 220 E. Main Street in Marshalltown, Iowa. The Orpheum is owned and operated by Iowa Valley Community College District. For upcoming movies, call the Movie Line at 641-844-5907.