The Orpheum Theater Center sustained significant structural damage during the July 19 tornado; repairs are currently in progress, and we anticipate re-opening in late spring or early summer 2019. Upcoming events and activities will be held in the Iowa Valley Continuing Education Center (Dejardin Hall, room 808) at 3702 S. Center Street unless otherwise noted. Bob and Tammy are working in the Orpheum now; the best way to reach them is by phone or email (the building is not open to non-staff at this time).
Check out the “at a glance” schedules below for an overview of what’s happening at the Orpheum Theater Center, or click on the links to the left to find selected Events information in greater detail. Want to rent a room or tour the facility? Grab a snack and a great cup of coffee? You can do it all at the Orpheum Theater Center … the epitome of community!
Major Sponsor: Martha-Ellen Tye Foundation
- Jan. 26 – Winterfest at 7 pm at the Iowa Valley Continuing Education Center (Dejardin Hall). This is the Orpheum’s annual progressive rock event, which this year will feature The Sires and Halfloves. Tickets are $12.50.
- Feb. 1 – Beer Tasting at 6:30 pm at the Iowa Valley Continuing Education Center (Dejardin Hall). Details will be determined in January, but the beers will be paired with fun foods so what’s not to love?!
- Feb. 2 – Friends Of the Orpheum Theater (FOOT) Fundraiser. The Awful Purdies and one other band will perform free to support funding other artist performances at the Orpheum. This fundraiser will be essential due to revenue losses to both the Orpheum and IVCCD from last summer’s tornado. We look forward to celebrating this great gift from these Iowa City musicians! Tickets are $12.50.
- TBA – The Orpheum Presents, which is an occasional concert in another location. We will bring Los Diablos to the Midnight Ballroom in collaboration with that great venue. We started this in November with Irish Christmas in America at the First Baptist Church, and hope to do the same kind of thing once or twice each year. A second band (to be determined) will also be featured with Los Diablos; watch this page for additional details. Tickets are $12.50.
- Feb. 22 – Fourth Friday Wine Tasting at 7 pm at the Iowa Valley Continuing Education Center (Dejardin Hall). This is a pleasant evening you won’t want to miss. Tickets are $12.50.
- Mar. 2 – NOLA Jazz Band at 7 pm at the Iowa Valley Continuing Education Center (Dejardin Hall). With Mardi Gras just around the corner, NOLA Jazz Band will entertain you in New Orleans style! Tickets are $12.50.
- Mar. 15 – Sox in the Frying Pan at 7 pm at the Iowa Valley Continuing Education Center (Dejardin Hall). Right out of Ireland, Sox in the Frying Pan is a grand group of musicians … take a listen and hear for yourself! This will be a fun way to start the St. Patrick’s Day festivities. Tickets are $12.50.
- April – There will be another United State of Poetry event this year, which brings about 100 people annually to enjoy poetry read by a number of enthusiastic volunteers. The date for this free event is not yet set.
- Apr. 20 – The University of Iowa’s Dancers in Company at 7 pm at the Iowa Valley Continuing Education Center (Dejardin Hall). This troupe is always graceful, elegant and amazing! Tickets are $12.50.
A NOTE FROM THE ORPHEUM DIRECTOR – While movies and music are the core of our programming at the Orpheum, we also want to do what I call “Let 1,000 Flowers Bloom.” Right now, the Orpheum is offering (free of charge) participation in a monthly Poetry group which meets the fourth Thursday of each month, and an Anime group which meets twice a month. The Wine & Beer tasting groups are similar efforts to this, as is the Seberg Festival. If you have a cultural interest which the Orpheum could host, feel free to come talk with us. The only thing which is certain is that it’ll take 3-5 volunteers (which you have to provide) before we’d partner with you … but if you want to start a line dancing group, or do Bonsai, or have a strong interest in graffiti art – or any other cultural thing – send me an email, and we’ll set up a time to talk!
The Orpheum Theater Center is located at 220 E. Main Street in Marshalltown, Iowa. The Orpheum is owned and operated by Iowa Valley Community College District. For upcoming movies, call the Movie Line at 641-844-5907.