Check out the “at a glance” schedules below for an overview of what’s happening at the Orpheum Theater Center, or click on the links to the left to find selected Events information in greater detail. Want to rent a room or tour the facility? Grab a snack and a great cup of coffee? You can do it all at the Orpheum Theater Center … the epitome of community!
Major Sponsor: Martha-Ellen Tye Foundation
Live After 5
- Summer Family Movie Series (event details)
- July 20 & 21 Peter Rabbit
- July 27 & 28 Finding Dory
- Aug. 4 – Beer Tasting at 7 pm. (tickets are $15; no tickets sold after July 31).
- Aug. 8 – Movie Club hosts a showing of Mama Mia! (You know that will be fun!) Doors open at 6 pm, Mama Mia trivia is 6:30 to 7, movie begins at 7 pm. Open to the public. (tickets are $10)
- Aug. 24 – Friday Wine Club with appetizers at 7:30 pm right after Live After 5, featuring newer wines of quality – think Albariño (Spain’s quintessential white wine!) (tickets are $20, limit 56 people; no tickets sold after Aug. 20)
- Sept. 19 – La Patronal Peruvian folk music at 7 pm. Rooted in the tradition of ‘fiestas populares’ (town fairs common in rural villages across Latin America) La Patronal honors these gatherings, which celebrate tradition through fireworks, dancing, and religious images. La Patronal members are direct descendants of rural musicians from Peru, and use this knowledge of folk culture in combination with their formal music studies to preserve their heritage while also bringing it to the present. Their lively performances encourage audience participation and dancing with contagious percussion and vibrant brass and winds. Tickets are $12.50. (This engagement of La Patronal is made possible through Southern Exposure: Performing Arts of Latin America, a program of Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation in partnership with the National Endowment for the Arts.)
- Sept. 22 – Hot Tamale Louie at 7 pm. This is the Story of Zafir Khan told with music, created and performed by John Rapson with special guest artist Dave Moore (Iowa City), singer/songwriter Daniel Gaglione, five University of Iowa alumni and UI faculty member Paul Kalina. Watch for details coming soon! This performance is sponsored by a grant from the Iowa Arts Council.
- Oct. 13 – Blues & BBQ featuring The Blue Dog, The Limestoners (featuring Bob Dorr), and a final short set with both bands! Event is from 6 to 9:30 pm; tickets are $30, which includes the meal.
- Nov. 3 – Crystal City performs from 7 to 9 pm. Crystal City is fronted by Dave Helmer and Sam Drella. Heavily influenced by Paul Westerberg, Tom Petty, John Prine, and Townes Van Zandt, the group’s songs are approachable and relatable, touching on themes of love and loss, being good to one another, and celebrating life. Tickets are $12.50.
- Nov. 29 – Irish Christmas in America (see Irish Christmas in America, starting at 3:30 to find both music and dance). This multi-talented group includes amazing instrumentalists, great vocals, and compelling traditional Irish dance. A great way to start the Christmas season! Tickets are $25.
- Nov. 30 – Friday Wine Club (tickets are $20, limit 56 people; no tickets sold after Nov. 26)
- Dec. 8 – The Starch Duo at 7 pm
|Bring your own folding chair/lawn chair! Live After 5 is a free outdoor summer concert series held on Fridays from 5:30 to 7:30 pm in the lot on the east side of the Orpheum. From 5:30-6, we have a happy hour; get your place and get food/drinks. Starting this year, bands will perform from 6-7:30 pm, to maximize shade and extend this great time!
|Orpheum Black Box events are most often music, and generally on Saturdays from 7 to 9 pm. Tickets are $12.50 unless otherwise indicated.
||2018 Series Sponsor: Community Foundation of Marshall County
Event Sponsors: Farmers Savings Bank, Fauna Nord/Kelli Thurston Premier Real Estate, Home Federal Savings Bank, Independent Insurance, Marshalltown Regional Partnership, Lennox Industries and R.S. Stover.Venue Sponsor: UnityPoint Health – Marshalltown
A NOTE FROM THE ORPHEUM DIRECTOR – While movies and music are the core of our programming at the Orpheum, we also want to do what I call “Let 1,000 Flowers Bloom.” Right now, the Orpheum is offering (free of charge) participation in a monthly Poetry group which meets the fourth Thursday of each month, and an Anime group which meets twice a month. The Wine & Beer tasting groups are similar efforts to this, as is the Seberg Festival. If you have a cultural interest which the Orpheum could host, feel free to come talk with us. The only thing which is certain is that it’ll take 3-5 volunteers (which you have to provide) before we’d partner with you … but if you want to start a line dancing group, or do Bonsai, or have a strong interest in graffiti art – or any other cultural thing – send me an email, and we’ll set up a time to talk!
The Orpheum Theater Center is located at 220 E. Main Street in Marshalltown, Iowa. The Orpheum is owned and operated by Iowa Valley Community College District. For upcoming movies, call the Movie Line at 641-844-5907.