Skip To Main Content

5th Annual Medina Family Scholarships awarded

Pictured left to right Isaac Medina, Luis Mendoza, Janneth Larios Larios, and Alfonso Medina.

MARSHALLTOWN – Representatives of the Medina family came to the Marshalltown Community College campus to award the annual Medina Family Scholarship to two MCC students for the fifth year. Recipients of the $400 scholarship are Janneth Larios Larios and Luis Mendoza. Their essays about “The American Dream” were selected from all those submitted to be considered.

“We are aware that our success in the community is thanks to our loyal patrons and we give back to this same community in every way we are capable of. We invite other businesses to do the same and an easy and supportive way to do so is by also establishing a scholarship at MCC. The process is easy and the impact is permanent to students trying to continue and pursue their education. The money is used by that student for the academic year and can be used towards tuition or for the purchase of books,” Alfonso Medina, Jr. says. “This scholarship is funded by two of our family owned businesses in town, La Carreta Mexican Grill and El Portal Mexican Restaurant. Thank you Marshalltown, for making this possible.”

Janneth Larios Larios, one of the recipients, says, “I express my sincere gratitude for making the Medina Family Scholarship possible. I was excited to learn of my selection for this honor and am deeply appreciative of the support. The financial assistance you provided will be of great help to me and will allow me to concentrate more of my time on studying. I promise I will work hard and eventually give something back to others as a teacher.”

Medina congratulated both students and told them that the scholarship applicants are required to provide an essay because he loves to write and really enjoys reading the submitted essays. This year there were several compelling stories shared in the essays and he told them it was hard to choose, but they had earned their awards.

For donors who are inspired by the Medina family’s generosity to contribute to or establish scholarship funds are encouraged to contact MCC Foundation Executive Director Carol Geil for more information at 641-844-5747 or Carol.Geil@iavalley.edu. Gifts to the MCC Foundation are always tax-exempt!