Grease fire in MCC dorm
Wednesday / October 2, 2019
MARSHALLTOWN – Early morning on Sunday, Sept. 29, at approximately 2 am, a grease fire broke out in one of the suite apartments of the South Hall dorm on the Marshalltown Community College campus. The sprinkler and alarm systems were activated and residents were quickly evacuated.
No injuries occurred in the evacuation or the fire, but the building experience significant water damage. LJ Roth, the District’s on-call restoration team, was on campus at 9:15 am that day to assess the damages and begin drying the building. Water damage was generally contained to the hallways and kitchens of six apartments.
Forty-seven students and one MCC staff member have been relocated by the fire. Everyone was moved to a local hotel while awaiting clearance to return to the dorm. Shuttle services is available to these students to campus for class, meals and athletic practices.
“I would really like to thank all of our hard-working housing staff and all of the other employees and student housing Residence Assistants who have helped during this time,” said MCC Provost Robin Lilienthal. “Our students are experiencing a stressful situation and are demonstrating great resilience, but we are reminding them of our individualize counseling support through our Student Assistance Program.”
Those who would like to donate to these students can contribute to the Tiger Vault; donations can be dropped off outside of the Residence Life offices in MCC’s Faust Union. The students are specifically in need of toiletries and cleaning supplies.
In their most recent update, LJ Roth said that on average it takes four days to dry out everything, but many factors affect the actual time. Once drying is complete and before renovations begin workers will conduct an air quality test, assess structural items in each apartment, and do deep cleaning. At this time a completion date has not been announced.
The impacted MCC students will continue to be housed at a local hotel until Residence Life staff have been given the clear to safely return students to their apartments.
“I was impressed with the professionalism and caring of the MCC/IVCCD team members who responded in the middle of the night to ensure students were cared for and safe,” commented IVCCD Chancellor Kristie Fisher. “The MCC team continues to provide for student needs this week.”