Skip To Main Content

Kyle Landas’ “My Soul for Sale” to be featured in Ray Frederick Gallery

Marshalltown artist Kyle Landas will be displaying his art in the Ray Frederick Gallery at MCC Oct. 16 – Nov. 8. He’s pictured with several of his leather pieces. The artwork in the exhibit will be for sale as well as Landas being available to commission.

MARSHALLTOWN – Marshalltown artist Kyle Landas will share a display of his artwork in MCC’s Ray Frederick Gallery, room 306, on the Marshalltown Community College campus. The Landas exhibit opens with a reception from 12:15 to 1:30 pm on Wednesday, Oct. 16, and will be on display through noon Friday, Nov. 8.

Landas says his show will include primarily hand carved leather with abstract mixed in.

Landas has been a creative person as long as he can remember. He started using leather in his artwork in 2007 after falling ill. “I started losing all of the strength in my body and having severe pain so I had to stop doing my job as a brick layer,” commented Landas. “At one time they thought it was cancer. I was scared to go to sleep not know what was going to happen so I started to teach myself how to work with leather.”

The influence of using leather came from a friendship that Landas has with country singer Waylon Jennings’ son Shooter. “He always wore custom guitar straps and leather bound guitars. After talking with him about it, I just started doing it.”

Through word of mouth, Landas started having a variety of celebrity clientele request custom leather pieces. “I would go to shows and become friends with people before they hit it big.” Celebrity clients included: Justin Bieber, Kid Rock, Brad Paisley, Hank Williams Jr., Jerry Cantrell from Alice and Chains, Marilyn Manson and Lee Brice.

“I think my art is an interesting way to use leather. It’s generally old fashioned or western feeling. I’ve taken it and opened the door to another dimension for this media.”

Landas hopes people will see the emotion he puts into his pieces. “I think about the things people struggle with that get swept under the rug such as depression, suicide, dealing with self-worth and relationships. Some of the pieces are hard to tell that but if I describe them it all falls into place. My pieces are deeply rooted in emotion.”

The Ray Frederick Gallery is open weekdays from 9 am to 5 pm. For more information contact MCC Art Professor Tim Castle at 641-844-5776 or Tim.Castle@iavalley.edu.