Skip To Main Content

East Marshall senior Arifi completes college degree

Juliana Arifi

DOUBLE GRADUATIONS – Juliana Arifi will graduate from Marshalltown Community College with an Associate of Arts degree prior to her graduation from East Marshall High School on May 19. Taking dual credit classes in high school has saved Juliana $12,736 and elevated her to junior class status at a university in the fall.

MARSHALLTOWN – East Marshall High School senior Juliana Arifi has accomplished a rare feat. She will be graduating with a college and high school degree in the same month. Juliana has been taking dual credit classes through Marshalltown Community College since the second semester of her sophomore year. She will graduate with a two-year, 64-credit Associate of Arts degree from MCC on May 10, nine days prior to her high school graduation ceremony!

Juliana is the daughter of Susan and Denny Arifi.

At today’s MCC tuition/fee rate of $199 per credit, the value of an AA degree is $12,736. Best of all for students, the high school pays for the credits because the students are also earning high school credit (dual credits) for the courses, which are taught by college adjunct instructors. That means Juliana can attend a four-year college or university in Fall 2019 having already completed her freshman and sophomore courses free of charge!

The opportunity was offered to Juliana and nine other East Marshall students involved in the Talented and Gifted program (TAG) to take dual credit classes through MCC. They were allowed to take one class per semester to begin and could then take two.

When asked why she chose to take dual credit classes she said, “My mom encouraged me to take advantage of it since the school was paying for it. I was able to get two years out of the way and will now be able to enjoy more freedom and can focus more when I’m in college.”

Taking both high school and college courses at the same time, Juliana said she quickly learned time management. “I couldn’t waste any time; I had to work harder. I was still able to do everything I wanted to, but I had to make sure my work was done first.”

Juliana plans to attend Grand View University after graduation. She will be playing volleyball as well as triple majoring in Chemistry, Kinesiology and Business Administration.

When asking what advice she has for students who are considering dual credit she said, “Definitely do it but make sure to take the classes you are interested in … that makes it a lot easier.” She also said she would recommend that people take in- person classes rather than online. “The interaction in class is great. I have made a lot of friends.”

High school students and parents interested in learning more about Dual Credit coursework can visit with a high school guidance counselor or go to the Marshalltown Community College website and look at Academics, College Credit for High School Students.