MCC Honors Reception recognizes outstanding students
Thursday / May 2, 2019
MARSHALLTOWN – Eighty-eight Marshalltown Community College students were recognized for their 2018-19 achievements during the annual Honors & Recognition Reception on Wednesday, April 24. The MCC Student Senate sponsored the event, during which faculty, staff and coaches spoke about the successes of their students, shared stories, and presented each honoree with a certificate.
Student-athletes, resident assistants, student ambassadors, peer tutors and peer leaders were all honored on Wednesday night. Officers of Student Senate, Collegiate Veteran Association (CVA), League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC), Multicultural Club, IT Club, and Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) were also recognized.
MCC professors in the subjects of Art, Broadcasting/Digital Media, Business, Math & Science, Computer Network Management & Technology, English as a Second Language, Spanish and Skilled Trades each chose an Outstanding Student(s) to represent the respective department. Each MCC Outstanding Student had his/her own story of excellence in academics. Outstanding Student Awards were presented as follows:
- Art (presented by Tim Castle): Julie Fox of Marshalltown and Haruka Sugiyama of Koto-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
- Broadcasting/Digital Media (presented by Steve Muntz): David Seuss of Marshalltown.
- Business (presented by Ted Lewis): Emily Swanson of Marshalltown.
- Computer Network Management & Technology (presented by Brenda Heitmeyer): Jenny Johnson of Grinnell and Juan Solis of Marshalltown.
- English as a Second Language (presented by Theresa Orlovsky): Aleix Viladot Carames of Encamp, Andorra.
- Math & Science (presented by Danielle Kness): Taylor Brown of Melbourne and Reece Blay of Council Bluffs.
- Spanish (presented by Theresa Orlovsky): Leonardo Moreira Tomasi of Criciuma, Brazil.
- Skilled Trades (presented by Rick Dorsey): Steven (Nick) Kriegel of Grinnell.
MCC Athletic Director Dr. Kathleen Brown presented the following Outstanding Athlete Awards:
- Male Student-Athlete of the Year: Rafael Ramos Mariano of Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Female Student-Athlete of the Year: Jelena Dukic of Futog, Serbia.
All-Iowa Academic Team members Cynthia Coury Castellanos of Marshalltown and Lisa Butler of Marshalltown.
Special recognition was awarded to Steve Rowden, Great Western Dining Service, Inc. Food Service Director, who has graciously served free meals to veterans as part of the annual Veterans Day Ceremony held at MCC.