Skip To Main Content

Sally Wilson’s artwork to be featured at MCC

Sally Wilson art exhibit

The artworks of MCC Biology Professor Sally Wilson will be on display Jan. 23 through Feb. 15 in the Ray Frederick Gallery at Marshalltown Community College. The exhibit will include paintings, watercolors, floor cloths, and some eclectic items repurposed by the artist.

Marshalltown Community College Biology Professor Sally Wilson will be the next featured artist in the Ray Frederick Gallery on the MCC campus. Her exhibit, entitled “Art Colors Life,” opens with a reception from 12:15 to 1:30 pm on Wednesday, Jan. 23, and will be on display through noon Friday, Feb. 15.

The exhibit will include paintings, watercolors, acrylic floor cloths, and several eclectic items repurposed by the artist. Wilson’s home was damaged by the July 19 tornado, so one of the special items includes materials found and artfully displayed after the tornado went through Marshalltown. Entitled “Sea Debris,” it will be sold and the money donated for local tornado relief and a Save the Oceans fund.

“There are lots of artistic people in my family, and I’ve always enjoyed painting and making paper sculptures,” says Wilson. “I see colors everywhere, and I especially enjoy upcycling and reusing materials in keeping with my personal dream of saving the planet. One of the smallest items in the exhibit is a piece that I created to use up leftover paints, because I don’t like throwing anything away.”

Wilson has been a full-time biology instructor at MCC for 13 years, and taught part-time at MCC before that. She has taken several painting and design classes with MCC Art Professor Tim Castle over the years. She said her exhibit has been on Castle’s Gallery Show List for two years. “I have many items to share, but the upcoming exhibit also forces me to complete some things I’ve started and one or two that I’ve just been thinking about. It’s really a good thing!” says Wilson.

Many of Wilson’s artworks include nature images specially focused in unique and colorful ways. She says the exhibit will showcase how her ideas and skills have evolved over the years in terms of their details, textures, and depth. One of her future artistic goals is to learn to make her own organic paints.

The Ray Frederick Gallery, located in room 306, is open weekdays from 9 am to 5 pm. For more information contact MCC Art Professor Tim Castle at 641-844-5776 or Tim.Castle@iavalley.edu.