Skip To Main Content

Pam Muench’s “Nature vs. Nurture” to be featured in Ray Frederick Gallery

Pam Muench

The artworks of State Center resident Pam Muench will on display Oct. 10 through Nov. 1 in the Ray Frederick Gallery at Marshalltown Community College. The exhibit will include drawings, paintings, printmaking, mixed media, and more.

Marshalltown art educator Pam Muench will be the next featured artist in the Ray Frederick Gallery, room 306, on the Marshalltown Community College campus. Her exhibit, entitled “Nature vs. Nurture,” opens with a reception from 12:15 to 1:30 pm on Wednesday, Oct. 10, and will be on display through noon Thursday, Nov. 1.

The exhibit will include drawings, paintings, printmaking projects, collages, mixed media, and one or two watercolors.

A resident of State Center, Muench has taught art at Lenihan Intermediate School since 2006. Teaching is a second career for her, though … she is a graduate of the MCC Dental Assisting program and worked for many years with Dr. Hermanson until she decided it was time for a change.

“I loved working with kids in the orthodontist’s office, and I just had this idea that I wanted to teach,” says Muench. “I took some studio art classes at Fisher Community Center, and then completed an associate’s degree at MCC, a bachelor’s degree at Iowa State University, and then a master’s degree at ISU. I continued working as a dental assistant until I completed the master’s degree in 2000, when I was hired to teach in Marshalltown. I taught elementary art for four years, at Anson Middle School for two years, and have been at Lenihan since 2006.”

Muench says she loves teaching. “It’s so rewarding, especially when students are excited to draw and share with me what they’re doing. I love seeing the ‘aha’ moments when students make the connections and grasp the concepts in the classroom. I believe that art is so important now, especially with all of the emphasis on technology in today’s world.”

In her own artwork, Muench likes to blend and juxtapose media together. Collaging and upcycling items are some of her favorite projects. With a studio in her home. Muench spends a lot of summer days painting or drawing or taking classes for inspiration. She’s particularly inspired by being outdoors in the summer, gardening, and traveling.

The Ray Frederick Gallery is open weekdays from 9 am to 5 pm. For more information contact MCC Art Professor Tim Castle at 641-844-5776 or Tim.Castle@iavalley.edu.