Skip To Main Content

Applications due Nov. 27 for $40,000 Jack Kent Cooke scholarships

MARSHALLTOWN – Current Marshalltown Community College students and graduates are reminded that applications will be accepted from Sept. 13 through Nov. 27, 2018, for the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation’s Undergraduate Transfer Scholarships. MCC graduate Felicia Hoerner of Toledo received one of the $40,000 scholarships in 2015 and it enabled her to continue to pursue her healthcare education.

“When I found out, I couldn’t breathe,” said Felicia back in 2015. “I cried and cried. It was the proof that all my hard work and putting my education first was absolutely worth it.” Felicia says she first found out about the scholarship three years before, while walking the halls of MCC. “I took the flier home, tossed it into a drawer and forgot about. Almost two years later I found it while moving, and applied. I never thought I would get it.”

The scholarship is for up to $40,000 per year and is intended to cover a significant share of the student’s educational expenses – including tuition, living expenses, books and required fees – for the final two to three years necessary to achieve a bachelor’s degree.

“That scholarship meant the world to me and my family,” said Hoerner. “My six-year-old daughter, Ariana, was ecstatic. I used to have to work multiple jobs on top of taking classes at MCC. The scholarship gave me the opportunity to work less and spend more time with her [Ariana] while finishing my degree. Being able to graduate with less student loan debt was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.”

The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship is one of the largest private scholarships for two-year and community college transfer students in the country. Scholars are selected based on high academic ability and achievements, persistence, leadership, and financial need. In addition to the scholarship, recipients receive college planning support, ongoing advising, and the opportunity to connect with other scholars.

Applications must be submitted online at jkcf.org/transfer. The application opens on Thursday, Sept. 13, and closes on Tuesday, Nov. 27, 2018.

The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation is a private, independent foundation dedicated to advancing the education of exceptionally promising students who have financial need. Because we believe that high-potential, low-income students will excel educationally when given the resources to develop their talents, the Foundation supports exceptional students from elementary school to graduate school through scholarships, grants, direct service, and knowledge creation and dissemination. Founded in 2000 by the estate of Jack Kent Cooke, the Foundation has awarded $190 million for more than 2,500 scholarships and $100 million in grants to organizations that support its mission.