Skip To Main Content

Theresa Orlovsky authors book chapter

Theresa Orlovsky

Theresa Orlovsky

Marshalltown Community College (MCC) English as a Second Language and Spanish instructor Theresa Orlovsky has authored a book chapter entitled “The Importance of Context in Second Language Writing Evaluation.” Her chapter is featured in newly-published “The Politics of ESL Writing Assessment in Global Contexts” edited by Todd Ruecker and Deborah Crusan.

Orlovsky says the chapter is a narrative vignette of her experiences in second language writing assessment. She began working on it during the summer of 2016 when she was at the Técnologico de Monterrey campus in Querétaro, Mexico. She finished writing the chapter while working in Colorado, and she received a copy of the printed book just recently.

“It’s ironic because the chapter I wrote focuses on my varied experiences, and I wrote it over a two-year period when I was in multiple professional positions,” says Orlovsky, who joined the MCC faculty in August 2017. “I answered a call for papers as part of a professional development requirement when I was teaching in Querétaro, Mexico. It was a challenge to do the writing while I was working, but I would like to do more of this kind of thing. It allowed me to reflect on my experiences, which was more manageable than research-based writing.”

Orlovsky says that her MCC teaching duties are her first priority now, but that she always looks for opportunities to learn and stay current in the field of linguistics. Her professional experiences both in and out of Iowa help her in working with MCC’s diverse student population.

While working on her bachelor’s degree in English and Spanish at Southeast Missouri State University, Orlovsky spent a semester at Universidad Antonio de Nebrija in Madrid, Spain. After completing her undergraduate degree in 2011, she enrolled at Iowa State University as a graduate student and teaching assistant, taught in Mexico during a six-week internship, completed her master’s degree in TESL/Applied Linguistics, taught for ISU and DMACC in Ames, taught for one year back in Mexico, lived  and worked in Colorado for nine months, and then moved to Marshalltown, where she has worked since August 2017.