Skip To Main Content

Castellanos receives Carver Scholarship

Elizabeth Castellanos

Elizabeth Castellanos

Marshalltown Community College graduate Elizabeth Castellanos has an extra reason to celebrate this summer as she takes the next step in her college journey. She has been named a 2018 Carver Scholar, joining just a select few throughout the state of Iowa. Castellanos will be enrolled at Iowa State University this fall, where she plans to study journalism.

Roy J. Carver Scholarships are available to full-time (12 hours or more) students who will be starting their junior year in the fall semester of the award year. Awards are $5,200 at public universities and $7,600 at the private colleges. The Carver Scholarships are renewable.

“This scholarship means a great deal to me,” says Castellanos, who is the first in her family to earn a college degree. “I was encouraged by my instructor, Ed Jorgensen, to pursue a degree in journalism. Marnie Brown in the TRIO office suggested I apply for the scholarship, which required writing an essay on the hurdles I’ve overcome to attend college and be successful here. I also am grateful to Marnie for helping me to focus on studies and pushing me to graduate within two years from MCC.” Castellanos, a native of Marshalltown, was in the Marshalltown Education Partnership (MEP) program at MHS, an active TRIO Student Support Services (TRIO SSS) member at MCC, and has worked at Hy-Vee for the past four years.

“I plan to attend law school after I graduate from Iowa State, and my end goal is to remain in Iowa once my career is established.”

Marnie Brown, TRIO Coordinator, says this about Castellanos: “From the first moment I met Elizabeth, I was completely impressed with her maturity, professionalism, and overall dedication to her success. While at MCC, she took advantage of every opportunity I presented to her, all while balancing her school, work and life responsibilities. There is no doubt in my mind – Elizabeth will achieve great success in everything she pursues.”

The Carver Scholars program began in 1988, and has distributed more than $21 million in awards to more than 3,900 juniors and seniors. The program centers on providing substantial scholarships to students who struggle to overcome significant social and economic obstacles in the pursuit of their education or who may be living in circumstances that may not normally be taken into account by other financial aid programs.

Castellanos is MCC’s 10th Carver Scholarship winner in the past seven years, all of whom have been TRIO SSS students.