Skip To Main Content

MCC students participate in Day of Caring

Nearly 50 Marshalltown Community College students participated in the April 18 United Way Day of Caring by volunteering from 8 am to noon at nine local sites. The students did projects that ranged from outdoor cleanup and landscaping to stocking shelves, painting, installing smoke detectors and putting labels on plaques for the Central Iowa Art Association, Fisher Community Center, Iowa River Hospice, Marshalltown Area Chamber of Commerce, Marshalltown Public Library, Red Cross, RSVP at Rogers and Woodbury Elementary Schools, and the Salvation Army.

Chris Brees, event coordinator, said it’s a good annual partnership with the United Way. “Each fall we do a community-wide service day with several organizations, and then each spring we participate in the United Way Day of Caring. For many students, it’s an excellent opportunity to fulfill their requirements for service learning.”

Danielle Garth of Marshalltown is an MCC freshman; she and several others spent time Tuesday at the Second Chance Thrift Store. “A couple of us sorted and hung up clothing, and several guys were cleaning up in the back room,” says Danielle. “Participation was mandatory for me as part of the service learning required in Professor Johnson’s Introduction to Business course. It was eye-opening to realize that not everyone can buy new things in a store. I think community service helped me realize how fortunate I am … it was a good experience, and I’ll do it again next year.”